Sunday, January 18, 2009

The True Confessions of a Sun Worshiper

When I first arrived in Quito, someone told me that the reason Quito doesn't have any Mayan ruins is because Mayan people knew that being on the Equator and being in the mountains, they didn't have to put a lot of effort into getting closer to the sun. While they did build structures, they weren't the tall structures that you'll find in other Central and South American countries and generally didn't stand the test of time.

I've been warned time and time again about the strength of the sun here in Quito, but I hadn't really thought about it too much. Most days I wear pants and long sleeves, for at least part of the day. The mornings are fairly cool and the weather is very unpredictable so it's always good to have a jacket. However, I have noticed that in two weeks my face is several shades darker. Today, I decided to try to get a bit of a tan. I never did very well with laying out back in the states because I always got bored and went back inside. I don't think that will be a problem here... I only spent about half an hour in the sun and I'm burned on my chest and neck. Additionally, I wore a necklace to church this morning and in the time it took me to walk to and from church (with a grocery store detour), I got a round tanline on my chest from the necklace. Nice, I know. And a sidenote for Mom, I am wearing sunscreen on my face every day and as I mentioned, the rest of my skin isn't exposed often, so don't freak out. And I wear sunglasses.

Aside from the sun situation, there is another serious affliction that I have developed. I have a new addiction: pan de chocolate. I discovered it on Thursday at the Panaderia by my house and I have been thinking about it ever since. I've managed to avoid getting it every day, but I think of it probably at least once an hour. It looks like a cinnamon roll, but it's super soft and has some other flavorings, although I'm not sure what they are. I can taste coconut in it, but besides that I'm just really not sure. All I know is that I love it. And it costs 25 cents. And it's less than a block from my house. It's gonna be a hard seven months.

2 comments:

  1. wow, you have my mouth watering for that chocolate-cinnamon-coconut thing. Such a bargain.
    It sounds like the tan potential is a little greater there than at the Marion County Lake.
    Hope you don't burn!!

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, we are so getting that thing like, every day when I come visit. And everyone in Seattle will be so jealous when I come back with a natural tan:)

    ReplyDelete