Saturday, January 10, 2009

Storming

In social work we study several different models of group development. One of these models is forming, norming, storming, performing. I think that this model can somewhat be applied to my time in Ecuador. I arrived (forming), developed habits and made connections (norming), and then moved to my new house (storming). And hopefully in a few weeks I'll be performing.

I'm not sure why moving today was such a storm, but I have some guesses. I've been feeling kind of down for the last few days, a combination of homesickness and stress over the language and anxiety about moving to the new place. And today it all kind of came together in a bit of a meltdown for me. I'll spare you the details, but it mostly has to do with money and misunderstandings regarding my living situation. I ended up crying, which was unbelievably embarrassing. I think it was good though, because I've felt like I needed to cry for a few days now, but it just didn't really happen. So now it's happened, and hopefully I can move on and start my performing now that I've had my little breakdown.

On the bright side, I had lunch with the family today and then talked to them for over an hour (in Spanish) and it was really good. I don't know everyone's names, but there is the matriarch, Abuelita and her three kids. Miossotis is her daughter and she has a son (probably 3 or 4, but I'm terrible at judging ages) named Martin. He's my favorite part of living here. Then there are Abuelita's two sons, only one of whom I've met. And there's Abuelita's husband. Or so I think. So I only know two people's names and I'm not sure of how to gracefully figure out everyone else's name....

After lunch they took me around the neighborhood and we found the Mennonite Church (where I'll be working), the supermarket, a mall, etc. I really like the family and it's really good for me to be living with a family that doesn't speak English because then I have to practice my Spanish (all the time!). I have enough contacts that do speak English that it shouldn't be a problem to get my English fix now and again. I just need to figure out all of the financial stuff and make sure that it works for me and then I should be good to go.

I'm within walking distance of the church and a supermarket, so that's really convenient. It's odd to think that this is where I'm going to be living for the next seven months. Well, I guess more like 6 and a half now since it's already the 10th. Anyway, sorry to have another serious post. Stay tuned for my next hilarious post, which will be entitled "The Shower Dance."

2 comments:

  1. We are thinking of you, keep calm, carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That release of crying can really make you feel better. I can't wait to hear about the Shower Dance.
    Thinking of you!
    Love, joc

    ReplyDelete