Sunday, February 15, 2009

When It Rains, It Pours

The title of this post is both literal and figurative. It's literal because we're in our third or fourth straight day of rain and gray skies. This is bad news for a girl who has a really bad farmer's tan. I desperately need a free day that involves sun so I can try to even my arms out and be able to wear tank tops again.

It's also figurative because after a long drought in my social life, I have been overly busy for the past several days. Last Wednesday I had Bingo night with the South American Explorers (SAE) (I know, Bingo, but hey, I don't have a lot going on), then on Thursday I had my "dancing" night, followed by a Chivoteca with SAE, and for my Dia de Amor y Amistad I went out with some friends to perhaps the trendiest bar in Ecuador. I feel like I definitely soaked up some trendiness while there. Stay tuned for Lisa Loeb glasses.

The Chivoteca needs more explanation. It was basically a long truck with a roof and a DJ booth set up. We drove around the city for about 2 hours dancing. At first it was somewhat awkward, but after a while it was just a good time. I wish I would have taken pictures. It reminded a little bit of when we used to have a ride in the grain truck down D street in Hillsboro with TFY. Good times.

It's nice to have finally managed a social life, but now the challenge is to balance my social life with my work. It's something that is harder to do here than in other places since I work from my kitchen and definitely don't operate within a 9-5 framework. But I am more than ready to take on this challenge after many a night of wondering just when I would find people to hang out with.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, hope you are having fun working on your tan! The Chivoteca sounds pretty amazing. lol, good times indeed in the TFY grain truck!! i'm glad you're having some social 'rain.' Have a wonderful day!! love, j

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That brings back some good memories. Glad everything is going well...been thinking about you.

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete