Friday, February 13, 2009

¿Quieres bailar?

Well, I knew it was inevitable but last night I finally came face to face with a dancing situation. There's another teacher around my age at the school I teach at and last night I went out with her and her friends. As she told me before we left: "There's no such thing as maybe when it comes to dancing." So despite my protests, I was dragged out onto the dance floor a few times. I won't pretend that I'm good. At all. But all I heard all night was: "Pero es que facil!" (But it's so easy!) Although I made a fool of myself last night, I had some volunteers when I said I just need someone to teach me. So who knows, by the time I get back to the states I could be a dancing fool.

After last week when I worked seven days in a row, I decided I needed to tone my schedule down a little bit. I'm trying to visit every refugee family once every two weeks, and I'm going to try to supplement my time with teaching more hours at the school. I have a feeling that will be easier said than done though, so we'll have to see.

The other highlight of my week is that I met another International Social Worker and we had a complete geek-out. International Social Work is a tiny, tiny concentration and I never meet other people interested in it (except at an International Social Work conference once), so I was absolutely thrilled. I see many more geek-outs ahead of us.

It's hard to believe I'm already a month and a half into my time here. On the one hand it goes so fast and on the other hand it feels like I've been here much longer. I'm starting to get the feeling that it's going to be really hard to leave at the end of July. But I'm trying to take some advice from a few of my friends and live in the moment instead of worrying about things so far in the future.

1 comment: