Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bits and Pieces

The rain is continuing here in Quito, unfortunately. Today is our 5th straight day. I'm somewhat at peace with it, though, because when I woke up this morning the sun was shining and throughout at the day as I went all over the city for my different work responsibilities I avoided getting rained on. I even graded papers on the roof this morning in an attempt to even out a very bad farmer's tan I picked up last weekend at Mitad del Mundo (no luck quite yet). I almost like the sound of the rain as I enjoy a peaceful night in, but that's only if it isn't raining tomorrow when I have to walk to work.

Some of you are preparing to celebrate (or are already celebrating: Kaleb Borg) Mardi Gras back home. Here in South America I'm getting ready to celebrate too, although here it's called Carnival. I'm going to be going to Baños with some of the friends I met at South American Explorers. It's a pretty big deal here. I'll have Monday and Tuesday off work so it will be quite the long weekend. I'm so looking forward to getting out of the city and visiting a new place in Ecuador. I'll make sure to take lots of pictures.

Now that I've settled in time really does seem to be going pretty fast. I was talking with the director at the school today and next week I won't be teaching because of Carnival, and the following week I have my first visitor (yay!!!) so I won't be teaching then, asi que, the next time I'll teach will be the second week in March. MARCH! I can hardly believe that I'm already planning things out for March.

I haven't learned any sweet dance moves yet, but stay tuned on that front. I'm making every effort to pick some up soon. And then when I come back to DC we can hit up Cafe Citron and blow people away... not like we haven't been able to do that for years :)

1 comment: