Monday, March 9, 2009

Unwanted Attentions

Here in Ecuador I've grown used to the unwanted attentions of men in various situations... the catcall on the street, the none too subtle staring at my chest, you know, typical Latin America. However, as I was walking through the park with my friend Emma this weekend we noticed a big, purple dinosaur. That's right, Barney. I'm always amazed how it is usually the very worst of American culture that finds it's way over here. We went to the park after I sat in an internet cafe listening to what seemed to be an entire T.Pain album, in case you need another example. So as we walked past Barney, he lovingly put his hand on my shoulder and said "Hola" as smoothly as you can while wearing a huge dinosaur costume.

I was told this weekend that my life is perfect, and while I can't agree with that entirely, it does seem to be going pretty well. I spent a lovely Saturday out in the city (getting burned of course) with friends followed by an even lovelier night of playing card games in Spanish and dancing. I'm not sure why, but BS seems to be much more enjoyable in Spanish. "Mentira!"

My weekend was topped off with a delicious potluck meal at "La Casa Amarillo," where several of my friends live. It's an interesting bunch with people from four different countries. As we ate dinner three different languages emerged at the table and couldn't help but appreciate what an interesting combination of cultures I was experiencing. Until Jenny, the "host mother" of la casa amarillo returned home at which point all languages except Spanish were verboden. It was night that involved laughing until my stomach hurt, which for me is always a sure sign that life is good.

2 comments:

  1. Barney? Really?
    I love laughing til your stomach hurts, yay for that :)
    I can imagine that the combination of cultures is very interesting and a cool experience.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it starts out about unwanted attention then it concludes that life is good......What's on your mind?

    I just discovered your blog.
    Although I'm surprised it wasn't 24f.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete